The PhD Programme in Pharmacology and Physiology (RD 99/2011) seeks to train independent researchers and provide a professional research qualification in the field of Pharmacology and Physiology. The Programme directly emerges from the former Programme (RD 1393/2007) in Pharmacology and Physiology, that obtained the Award towards Excellence by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science.
The Programme is based on two main aspects:
- The demand for highly trained researchers in Pharmacology, either in academia, clinical practice or industry.
- The long-dating and strong background in research and training by the supervisors of the Programme, most of them appointed at the Departments of Pharmacology and Physiology, Instituto Teófilo Hernando for Drug Discovery, and Laboratory of Nephrology, Vascular Pathology and Hypertension (FJD-UAM).
Our PhD Programme is particularly focused in training researchers in two main areas with high social and health impact, such are Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Neuropsychopharmacology. Cardiovascular events (i.e., myocardial infarction, stroke) are nowadays a main cause of death worldwide and they are very closely related to diseases like hypertension, atherosclerosis, or the cardiometabolic complications of obesity and diabetes mellitus. On the other hand, the accelerated ageing of the population in Western countries is accompanied by a higher prevalence of diseases such as vascular dementia, and neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer’s disease.
Overall, our research Programme seeks to understand the basis of diseases, at different organizational levels, including molecular, cellular, ex vivo, in vivo, and patient-based translational approaches. The ultimate aim is to identify therapeutic targets that may be modulated by drugs for disease prevention, delay or treatment.
Cardiovascular and Renal Pharmacology
Degree Official Documentation
- Degree explanatory memorandum
- Evaluation report for ‘ANECA’ verification
- Verification resolution
- Link to the registry of Universities, Centers and Degrees