Go to main contentGo to main menu

Logo de la UAMUniversidad Autónoma de Madrid

Visa and Visitor's Permit

Before traveling to Spain

Students coming from non-European Union countries should process their visa at least two months before their program commences so they may join classes on time. This allows the university a margin of time for those cases in which the respective embassy or consulate—due to a toughening up in the granting of visas—solicits an additional specific certificate or document.

You can apply for and obtain a visa in the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country.

Types of visas according to duration:

- 90 days: (valid for processing the residency card before its expiration date);

- 150 or 180 days: you are not permitted to apply for a residency card (NIE) and you can only reside in Spain until the visa expires. It is necessary to return to your home country before the expiration date.

Important note: If you are intending to study or work, you should never travel on a tourist visa. Such visas do not allow for study or work in Spain. They also do not allow you to apply for a residency card (NIE) or any change of visa type. It is important to note that a visa is issued for undertaking a specific activity in Spain (a course, a Master’s degree, a doctorate, fellowship or a specific job), and this activity cannot be modified. Otherwise, on arrival to Spain your visa would not be valid and you would have to return to your home country to begin the process from there all over again.


In certain countries, the Consulate may require a certificate attesting you have a specific residence inSpain, so we advice you to make the reservation of the accommodation. In that way you would have to pay a signal or bail. Without this requirement, we cannot guarantee the conformity of the Consulate for visa issuing.